SurveyBods

Monday 17 February 2014

Volunteering Week



The second volunteering week is about to commence! A highlight of this week is the volunteering fair on the 25th February, 11-3pm, in the SU. I will be attending this, not just for the free pens, but to find out more about the opportunities available. I love volunteering as it gives me the opportunity to make a difference to people (I am fuzzy inside), try new things and gain valuable skills. So what are the rewarding things I am doing!?

  • #LovetoRead project: This is a project that I have set up myself with funding from vInspired Cashpoint. This is where young people, aged 16-24 can apply for funding to set up their own projects. My project involve giving free books to underprivileged children.
  • YEUK: Youth Employment UK is a charity trying to raise awareness about the concerning job prospects of young people today by getting the government to listen. I work on social media and interviewing employers for their E-magazine
  • Careers blog: I do this blog voluntarily! I love to write and I love careers so matching the two is perfect. I write helpful advice for students, publishing the magazines and creating cartoons
  • Worcester 6th Form College: I volunteer in the careers department at the college. The main project that I have been working on is to create Facebook pages so the college can communicate volunteering and alternative options to university to students.
So why I am telling you all this! Well, have you heard the saying ‘it’s a Catch22?’ For example, ‘you need experience to get this job’ and you are thinking ‘well I need this job to gain experience? @S’ Volunteering is a good way to get this experience. 

What other perks can volunteering while at university give you?

  • V-record: Anyone who logs 50 hours or more with receive a certificate showing their achievement
  • The Worcester Award: This university’s employability award so you can show employers that you have been doing more at university that just studying
  • The V-record and The Worcester Award will go on your HEAR which proves to employers what you have been doing while at university
  • You can attend the VosCas in Achievement Week. Free sandwiches!!
  • Making connections: if someone sees that you are passionate about something and have experience through volunteering, this will increase your job prospects
  •  Gaining vital skills
  • Doing a ‘good deed’ for someone else

For more information about volunteering contact Careers and Employability or the Students Union!


No comments:

Post a Comment