SurveyBods

Wednesday 29 October 2014

About me!

I have a keen interest in Further Education, Higher Education and young people. Being a young person myself, I understand the dilemma of trying to decide what to do with your future. I attended WSFC and I found the careers department very helpful in giving guidance and organising work experience, so that I could try and decide what I wanted to do. While at university, I gained a keen interest in careers through voluntary and paid positions at The University of Worcester. I was employed by the careers department to create the jobs bulletin. This involved speaking to local businesses to find out about vacancies, creating the document, distributing it, advertising it on social media, and analysing uptake. I have found that students are very keen to take advice from a person who has first-hand knowledge and experience.




I undertook the Worcester Award to boost my employability, at the University of Worcester. I thoroughly enjoyed the award and I wrote a piece about the award as The Worcester Award Ambassador. I have attended events, at the university, to engage with students and promote the benefits of the award. I wrote a careers blog, for the careers department, about how to write a good CV, how to development relevant skills and how to apply for jobs (http://lifeofanundergrad.blogspot.co.uk/). This has now moved to my own personal blog.  My employability articles have also been posted by The Guardian and Targetjobs. (http://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2013/nov/29/students-employability-league-tables).



I have also been developing 'career videos' and info-graphics, which will assist first year students in understanding all of the employability options available to them at The University of Worcester. (http://www.powtoon.com/p/e607kIPvxtF/).

I currently work for Archway Academy, as an Education Mentor. The school is for young people who have been excluded from PRU and have SEN. I teach on a 1:1 basis, functional skills and SETPD. From starting with my pupil, she has gone from having no qualifications to gaining qualifications in English and Math.

I am a member of the CDI, studying towards a PG Cert in Coaching and Mentoring and NVQ L4 IAG.
In my spare time, I am a Youth Ambassador for YEUK. YEUK is an organisation that help young people action change. I have received funding from O2 Think Big, to organise an employability event. This event had ten different organisations, in attendance, and multiple elements, including: a panel, team work exercise, and employer presentations. I received positive feedback from the young people and organisations. From this, I have been nominated for a BVSC award and the Queen’s Young Leader Award. I am now putting in a bid for the second tier of funding.

I am passionate about employability and helping young people find the right careers guidance. In the future, I would like to be a careers advisor, in higher education, and have my own employability workshop business.





No comments:

Post a Comment