SurveyBods

Thursday 24 April 2014

The mystery's of a 'group interview' solved!

Last week, I was invited to attend a 'group interview.' Just the thought of this situation filled me with horror. I just didn't know what to expect. I asked my careers advisor and she told me about situations where I could be expected to do a group task. Having done these before at assessment centres, I felt a little more confident as I have always done well in these. However, as I walked into the interview and saw two other candidates and two interviewers, I knew this wasn't going to be the case! It was an interview with numerous candidates. To be honest, I have never experienced this before and I didn't know the best way to precede. The interviewer just proposed a question to the group and left it 'open' for us to answer. 

Do I answer first? What if I don't, the other person may not leave me anything to say? I can't say nothing but I don't want to seem too pushy!? 

I decided to answer a few questions first and then when other people answered, agreeing with their perspective and then adding my own. 

As I had no idea whether this was the right thing to do, I left the interview a bit shell-shocked! 

When I got back, I decided to get on Twitter and ask some wise people their thoughts. Thanks to @GiraffeCVs @Dilger1Joe @EmployHub and @EcSolCareers for their input. The consensus on this issue was to engage with your fellow interviewees. See them as your peers, not competition. Acknowledge their opinions and build on what they say. 

Fingers crossed for the outcome of the interview!


If you need any advise please visit First Point for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment