SurveyBods

Saturday 27 July 2013

'So you didn't get into a 'top' university? How do you make yourself attractive to top corporations?'

Whilst working as a student ambassador, I spoke to a college student who told me ' I have applied to Warwick University as it has moved from 4th to 3rd in the league table for my accountancy course'. While Warwick University is ranked as one of the top ten universities by the Guardian, should ranking really be the only factor considered when choosing a university? I can see why he thinks this. With stretched recruitment budgets, and such a competitive graduate job market, top corporations primarily target these universities. The Highfliers Report 2013 shows that students from the top ten universities have the highest earning potential and are the most likely to gain a graduate position in a top corporation. I attend the University of Worcester, which is currently ranked 107th. When starting university, I thought 'how can I make myself attractive to top corporations and compete with students from top universities?' It is all to do with being able to demonstrate that you have the relevant skills, that match the company's competencies.Any student, from any university can do this and this article will show you how!

1. Research the companies competencies: While perusing many a corporation's website, I have noticed that they are all looking for similar competencies. This is supported by The Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Service (AGCAS) which shows the top five skills all employers are looking for are: commercial awareness, teamwork, communication skills,flexibility and integrity.
2. Develop experiences to show that you have these relevant competencies: University is not just about studying. While gaining the proverbial 2:1 is necessary for top corporations, extra-curricular activities are necessary to demonstrate relevant skills. A few I have got involved with are: Student academic representative, The Bright Futures Society, Mentor Link and the SAP Project. 
3. Present these experiences using the STAR method: Situation,Task, Action, Result. Recruiters have limited time and do not want to read pages of waffle. STAR is a way to effectively and concisely put forward what skills you have gained from an experience. This method should be used in your CV and when answering competency-based interview questions. Here is a CV example:

"Mentor Link (February 2011- July 2013):
I volunteered as a mentor for Mentor Link. I built relationships, with the mentees, in order to help them set goals and achieve them. I set goals using 'wish charts' to help improve their behaviour. I have received positive feedback from the mentees and the school. The mentees have moved from
special needs classes to mainstream classes. From this volunteering, I have achieved my V100 award from Vinspired."

In my opinion, the only difference between students at higher and lower ranking universities is the ability to follow these three simple rules. So my advice would be to attend a university that you want to attend and not to be restricted and worried about league tables. Attending an 107th ranked
university has not stopped me. I have received offers to attend assessment centres from top corporations such as: Lloyds Banking Group, Microsoft, Siemens and PriceWaterhouseCoopers.

No comments:

Post a Comment